Monday, May 3, 2010

Trail Name

On the trail the custom is to pick a trail name. It's kind of a "rite of passage". Some people pick their own, but the group I started running with all decided to just let it happen. So now we've got Boundless, Red Bear Spider Monkey, Bird Nut, Waldo, and the names just get cooler from there.

I was just recently given my trail name: Achilles. Or the full version is Achilles the Gangley Red Leper. Now you're probably thinking that I got the Name because of my warrior-like approach to life, or my legs that are the size of tree trunks, or, perhaps, my strong broad shoulders that could weild a 30 lb sword no problem, or maybe my square jaw and noble brow. If you thought this, then you would be, well, only partly correct.

With the recent issues I have been having with my Achilles tenden, I made the remark that it was funny that my achilles heel is my achilles heel (you can accent either part of that and it means the same thing- trust me, I thought about it for hours). So Boundless and Bird Nut got togher and decided that my name should be Achilles. Or Achilles the Red. Then, because I had poison ivy on my hand that Bird Nut was sure was Leprosy, that got added in. Then because I'm so tall and skinny , Gangly got added in too. Shew! got that all out! I'll tell you about the Great Smokey Mountains tomorrow.

Alive and well,
Achilles the Red

No comments:

Post a Comment