Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Generosity




So I've been running with my new crew; Neutron, Zan, and Stucco since Grayson Highlands. We've had an awesome time so far. We pulled a 30 mile day to get to the Partnership Shelter where you can order pizza delivered. It was absolutely delicious! While there I busted my toenail and it started bleeding pretty bad. It's looking much better now! I think I might even be able to keep it!


We happened upon some more trail magic. There were 2 gentlemen that finished hiking the AT last summer (they had been section hiking for a few years) and in order to show their appreciation for the trail they grill out for any hikers that are coming through that day. We got there about 10 am and stayed until 2pm. I ate 4 chilly dogs, potato salad, pasta salad, a banana, an apple, 2 small bags of chips, 2 pieces of blueberry coffee cake, and a bunch of other stuff. It made it hard to move when you're sitting there with some good friends, full to the brim on good food, enjoying good weather.


Stucco's aunt Jeanne lives close to the trail and came and picked us up with her friend Wendy. They have been so generous to us! Jeanne opened her home to us, let us shower, dry out all of out gear, drove us all over the place, fed us till we couldn't eat another bite, and have been full of pleasant chatter. I am so full right now as I type on Aunt Jeanne's computer and I look forward to another night on a comfortable bed. This has been my favorite zero day on the trail. It is great to see people so giving- especially to strangers. These ladies didn't know me (I walked up to them first out of our group all muddy, sweaty, smelly, etc) and they instantly smiled and began helping me. They even bought me a Cheerwine! I love my life. And theirs.

3 comments:

  1. Hey there!

    This is Todd, a friend of Boundless

    Just wanted to let you know that I'm following your journey, and that I'll give jeff updates when he checks in.

    Happy trails!

    Happy Trails? did I say that out loud?

    eh. roll with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. know what I like? How the floor board in your bleeding toe picture is more in focus than your toe....isn't that weird? yep. Sounds like the best adventure ever. I'm happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Todd, thanks for doing that. I miss cranking out the big miles. when are you coming down to visit?
    Emily, thanks for pointing out that I suck with the camera... I hope Anchorage is an awesome adventure for you.

    ReplyDelete