Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Fontana Dam











Yesterday I got in to Fontana. I started hiking at 6:50 to bust out a 21 mile day by 5 so i could get to the post office before it closed. After about 15 minutes of hiking it started raining, my achilles tendon started hurting real bad ( like a knife was stuck in it), and the wend blew up. There were several times I had to just laugh at myself- limping up the hill in the pouring rain, shoulders turned sideways to keep the rain from blowing in. I mean who does that to themselves? And a better question, who actually enjoys that!? And I realized i was having a blast so I quit wondering and started watching where i was stepping. It was sooo slick! I almost slipped and split my skull a couple of times on the slick roots and rocks. A couple of times it was real close.

I stopped to get some more water and for a short snack break along the way, and actually finished by 3! Well the shuttle to town didn't get to the marina till 3:30 and i found out from the shuttle driver that the PO closes at 3 in Fontana... Talk about frustrated! I found out that Boundless and Sly had gotten turned around and Boundless had decided to stay at the next shelter. Sly had decided to get a room in town so I joined him for a relaxing evening of ice and ipsom salt foot baths. It was awesome.

I'm going to do a short day today, try and get my achilles feeling better. I am in good spirits and the forecast looks promising. Great day to enter the Smokies!

2 comments:

  1. yesterday I walked a nice paved trail in pleasant sunshiney weather for only 4.6 miles and I complained inside myself a little at how my legs hurt...ha. It wouldn't be a good day for me to enter the smokies, but good luck to you, Chuckles!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha (that's my chuckle for ya), good thing you aren't trying to keep up with Boundless. He's pretty quick. he did 14 miles in 4.5 hours today... with a 35 lb pack... what a stud. i've done a bit of complaining inside too because of heat, or cold, or rain, or sore muscles, or tendons pulled too tight, or too many bugs, or well, i'm sure that gives you a good enough idea of whats goin on inside my head...

    ReplyDelete