Saturday, April 24, 2010

A walk in the Park







Well its been an awesome first leg of my journey! My Dad spent the first few days with me making sure I got settled in on the trail. Well, as settled as is possible... I started on friday and hiked Springer Mountain then a bit further. It was sooo hot the first few days, it was tough to keep hydrated. I've got in with a good crew. We have been pulling 10-15 mile days on some pretty rough terrain. I have seen some beautiful vistas, waterfalls, and flowers. Pictures of those will have to wait till i get my cord to put them on the computer.

The first 15 mile day we did over Blood Mountain because the bear activity around there has been way to regular. The berries aren't out yet so they live off of hikers' food bags... nicely wrapped in a bag hanging in the tree for them. My crew and I got to the hostel after a big crew had got there so there was only one bed left. Megan's knee was going out so we let her have it and camped at the next campground. Aaron hung his food instead of running it in to the hostel like the rest of us. Bingo, the bear on the north side of Blood Mtn. made off with $40 worth of his food. I heard him come through camp, but he wasn't too interested in people.

I hooked up with Boundless for the last couple of days and boy is he fast! He likes to get down the trail then relax once he makes camp. We are planning on running with each other the next few days.

Today I picked up my first food drop. My mom is mailing me packages with food in it to different places. I go pick it up then get on down the trail. I am planning on staying at the Blueberry Patch Hostle in Hiawasee, GA tonight then hitting the trail early tomorrow. With a relatively short day we should be done with the trail in GA. That's much faster than I was planning on going.

Yesterday was the toughest day so far. My food supplies were running low, i ran out of water, we pulled a second 15 miler, the rain was blowing sideways, the temp dropped pretty fast, we hit the steepest mountain we've climbed so far (Trey Mountain), we didn't know if there would be room in the shelter, the fog rolled in on us to where we could hardly see the white blaze marking the trail, etc etc. It was awesome! Got to the shelter, got water, cooked up some potatoes for dinner, changed into dry clothes, and climbed into my sleeping bag. Before long, I was "right as rain" as they say...

So over all, its been tough (only 2 minor blisters and one mean hot spot so far), but quite enjoyable. I've met some real cool people that have helped me and I've been able to help out some of them. Its been a good time. Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment